Chapter 4

I was in special education classes for a couple years, but half way through seventh grade they said since you are doing so well so we are taking you out of special education classes. My family fought so hard to keep me in special education classes and helped fight for the services to help me succeed.  I had an Individualized Education Plan until I was taken out of special education classes. An Individualized Education Plan gives me accommodations to help me succeed in classes. When I was no longer in special education I had a 504 plan which gives me some accommodations to help me succeed, but is much more limited that an IEP accommodation plan and special education.   It was definitely a hard change.  It was difficult for me to learn what was being taught in regular education and the environment I was in because I wasn't used to it, it was much more fast paced and harder to keep up.  I had to meet the new teacher and had to do harder work especially freshman and sophomore year. I had a huge support system which were my parents, sister, grandparents, and some of the teachers I had that supported me, like the best buddies teachers. I wouldn’t have been where I am today without the support system I have. I thank each one of the people who have supported me and been there for me throughout the years. When I got to 11th and 12th grade I finally had made the honor roll!  I graduated high school in 2017 and graduated with my class, receiving my High School Diploma! I never thought I could make it this far. 


Comments

  1. Alexea, I don't know how a 504 Plan works and how it is different than an IEP. Do you get less support or just different support?
    Credit to you that after such a transition to make it on the honor roll in your final two years of high school.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1

Mental Health

Ravens Play60 event