USA Games

Last year in the summer of 2021, my mom got a call from my Area Director saying that I was selected to go to the Special Olympics USA Games in Orlando, Florida to compete in bowling. The night before my mom told the neighbors and they all kept that a secret from me for a few days. That Saturday I was wearing a shirt and shorts and my mom said you need to change your outfit. I said why do I need to change my outfit? She said we are getting family pictures. I changed into my green romper and pretty shoes.  


We moved chalk couture down to the grass area so we all could do the craft in the bigger area. The neighbors, my grandparents, and family started bringing chairs over. I didn’t recognize that they were bringing chairs over. My cousins and I started doing our chalk couture. We got our chalkboards, picked our paste, and what we wanted to paint. I put the picture I wanted on the chalkboard. Then I opened the paint up and stirred the paint. I was ready to put the paste on my project. I got half of it painted. They had me facing the water so I couldn't see anything behind me. 


My dad put a bouquet of flowers and a balloon in front of my face. What are the flowers and balloons for? Then I looked at the balloon and it said congrats. I was like what am I being congratulated for? I was really lost. I know it's not for graduating high school or anything. I graduated in 2017. My mom and dad said to me to look around. I turned around and saw balloons, confetti, the Calvert County Area Director for Special Olympics Maryland, and someone in a Special Olympics Maryland polo. There was a poster that said Congrats Alexea you're a Team MD Nominee. I had no idea what a Team MD nominee was. Then our area director came up to me and said you have been selected as a Team Maryland nominee that will attend the 2022 Special Olympics USA Games in Orlando next June to compete in bowling. 


I cried so hard - like a little baby. Then I started clapping and smiling and was so happy. Kira, who works as the Senior Director of Marketing & Communications at Special Olympics Maryland came an hour from her house to surprise me. She video taped the whole thing on her phone. I was really excited that I was representing Team Maryland! My area director and Kira left and we finished celebrating me being a nominee. We had cake to celebrate. I was so lucky to have family, friends, and neighbors come celebrate. 


A few months after getting nominated we had to set up a fundraising page for me. In October our bowling coach for Team Maryland contacted my mom and asked her questions. Then we met over zoom as a team. Our first official practice was in November with the whole bowling crew for Team Maryland. The first practice was about the bowling lanes and other important things about bowling. 


Each practice we did technique skills for bowling. Some examples would be where we stand when we bowl and how we grip our bowling ball. We had practice each month. I am competing in doubles, singles, and teams. In February or March I started getting really excited for the games. I wanted to know all the information and details right away. April 26 and May 19 was the parent meeting to get more information about the games. We got our packing list, the time and date were flying, and much more information. 


We are staying at a Disney resort and my roommate is someone on my bowling team. My last practice was May 21 at Frederick Lanes. I got my bowling bag and the coaches will be taking our bag to the headquarters on May 29.  I got an early release form to be released to my family after the closing ceremonies so I can enjoy vacation with my parents, sister, grandparents, and my aunt. On my family vacation, I will be doing some cool activities, so stay tuned for a blog about it! I am very excited to be one out of the 190 athletes, unified partners, coaches, and volunteers attending. I am excited that I get to go to the Special Olympics USA Games. Something new to me is flying and going to be away from my family. I am excited to meet all the other athletes and all the other festivities the games are planning. 


They also created an app for the 2022 USA Games and it has schedules for when competitions are and you can even cheer on an athlete going to the games. Please download the app and cheer me on! Now that I am less than two weeks away there is a lot of excitement, nervousness, and anxiety. I still currently have to get a few things to do. I still have to do the laundry and pack all my belongings. Team Maryland has us arriving at BWI Marriott hotel on June 3, 2022. The Team Maryland staff have been working extremely hard to get everything prepared for us to arrive at the hotel on the third. This experience will be an unforgettable time. As an athlete I am ready and counting down the days but also for the new adventures. 


Comments

  1. So exciting! I look forward to following your time down in Orlando. It will be a very cool experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1

Mental Health

Ravens Play60 event