Alexea's Adventures at USA Games Part 1
Friday, June third Team Maryland bowlers arrived at the Marriott hotel around 10:30 in the morning. We got checked in with our team. Then we had stations all the athletes had to go to. We had to go get our luggage with the clothes that Team Maryland provided, check our medicine, and weigh our bags. We did have to bring stuff from home. One room was where we ate lunch and there were different stations. For lunch, there was a box lunch with a turkey sandwich, a cookie, and pasta salad. Then my mom had to leave. I was pretty sad that I couldn't take her in my suitcase. I haven't stayed away from my family at all besides having a sleepover with friends for a night. This was a new adventure for me to experience. A little while after lunch on Friday there was a scavenger hunt. Each team had to go around and ask a team management person two questions to figure out which question they were. It was a team bonding exercise. We had to get selfies with each person. I got to learn more about the staff going to the games with us. Kayla who works at Special Olympics Maryland as a Director, Healthy Communities created a bingo workout exercise for each team to complete. Great exercises and some were hard exercises, but each team did a great job completing them. Later that night we had dinner. For dinner that night we had some type of alfredo and some type of chicken and vegetables. After dinner we had a team meeting with everyone about what is expected for the travel day and what time we had to get up. Saturday for travel day plane one had to get up and be at breakfast at 5 in the morning. They had to catch the bus by 6. Plane two was bowling and some other teams. We had to be ready and at breakfast by 6. We caught the bus by 7. After dinner, we went to our rooms, got showers if we wanted, and went to sleep. It was hard sleeping that night because I was so excited.
Saturday came along. Up bright and early to get to the airport so we could go to Orlando, Florida. We wore our yellow Team Maryland shirts and any type of pants we wanted. Breakfast was good. After breakfast, we got on the bus to head to the airport. Once arriving at the airport, we got off the bus and got our luggage and headed into the airport. Southwest already had printed out our boarding pass. Once we got our boarding pass we went up and gave the ladies our luggage so they could get it and get it to our plane since our luggage was being checked as a checked bag. We went through security. It was good and they were nice. Then we had to take our shoes off and put our bags through the x-ray machine. Then we had to walk into this machine where we had to go through a metal detector. That was pretty easy for me since I have been on planes before, but some athletes were new to traveling. Then we walked to the gates. When we arrived close to the gates. The ladies that worked at the desk at Southwest came over the intercom and welcomed Special Olympics Maryland. The ladies at the desk also had southwest sunglasses. Which was so cool! We just waited in our gate area waiting to board our plane. My teammate and I went to a store to get some gum and something to drink since we were thirsty. While I was at the airport I got to talk to my mom and dad. They were heading to a different airport than we were heading to because they were coming to Orlando. I wouldn’t see my family until I competed at my competition or if I spotted them at opening ceremonies. Then after I got off the phone with my mom it was basically time to board the plane. We got pre boarding so Team Maryland could sit together on the plane. I sat on the plane with two other bowlers. The plane ride was good and there was a little turbulence on the plane. I watched some movies and talked with my teammates on the plane. They came around halfway through our plane ride and the flight attendants asked us if we wanted something to drink and if we wanted a snack. Of course, we said yes. I got water or a soda. We finally arrived in Florida, the sunshine state at 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Then over the intercom, they asked the other passenger if Team Maryland could get off first and they said yes. Team Maryland got off first and we followed the person taking us down to meet the buses that were taking us to the resort. It was raining once we got to Florida. We hopped on the bus and the bus took us to the resort. Once we got to the resort we went into a tent. The tent was for the Team Maryland athletes and our coaches. They had snacks and we were allowed to pick one out. One person who was head of the delegation was already in Florida prepping for us team Marylanders to arrive. We had the talk, and the coaches had a little area for their team meeting to get the keys to our room. We ended up getting our keys to our rooms. We had to walk to find our room. The resort was so huge with pools, and hotel rooms. We either went to our room first and dropped our book bags or went to lunch first. I don’t remember if our rooms were ready for us when we arrived. Then we went to lunch, and I had a cheeseburger and fries. We hung out in our rooms, and I called my mom and dad. The rooms were nice. Then we went to dinner that night. I ended up finding two athletes that I had met virtually during the pandemic. I spotted them and was glad I did. Their names are Kendra and Kari from Minnesota who was at the games for half-court basketball. I got selfies with them, and Kendra traded me a pin of her state and I gave her a Maryland one. Then I went and found a table for my team to eat at. Then after dinner we went back to our rooms and relaxed. Our luggage still wasn't there, and we didn’t know when we would get our luggage. Closer to 8 o clock my coach and the team went over where they were keeping the bags and we got our bags since we were frustrated about our bags not being with us. After getting our bags we finally got showers and went to bed. We called our families to say goodnight.
Sunday was a big day. We woke up at 5. It was the day of the opening ceremonies. We already had our outfit for opening ceremonies out from the night before. When I got up at 5, I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and took my medicine. I heard a knock at the door because our coaches wanted to make sure we were awake and getting ready. Then I got dressed in my opening ceremony outfit. Breakfast was grab and go. I ate an egg, cheese, and bacon on a bagel with a banana and possibly a yogurt. Then we had to be lined up at the buses at 7 something. We waited and waited for us to be able to get on the bus. Then we finally got on the buses to go to the opening ceremonies. We had to walk to get to the place. We lined up in alphabetical order to walk in. We waited some more. We got pictures outside while waiting to walk into the opening. As we were slowly walking a volunteer for the games passed out water which was much needed since we were allowed to bring anything with us to the opening. Then we walked in and someone walked us to the seats we were sitting at. They had music playing and would pause after so many states walked in. The music was good. Dancing was fun. The heat was tremendously terrible. The opening ceremonies finally started at about 12 in the afternoon. I was so excited that the opening ceremonies were finally starting. They had many great speakers that were there Sara Bareilles sang two songs, and one being Brave, Tim Tebow, Jersey Mike's CEO, and many more. Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse made an appearance. I got overheated during the games and had to go into the medical tent and make sure I was good. At each chair for the delegations there were water bottles that were really hot and sunscreen. When we walked out there were cooling towels. We needed to soak them a lot because they needed it. The athletes made a train, and we went around the chairs that Team Maryland was at. We Also got to trade pins. A team management staff member called me over and I didn't know why. She had picked me for an athlete leader pin. She picked me especially. How cool was that! Then after I sat down at my seat and then my mom called. She told me what section she and my dad were sitting at the games. I was able to see them from afar and wave to them! Which was exciting. The Special Olympics USA Games was announced that it was game time! The games were officially starting. They called each delegation one by one to exit. When Team Maryland was called, we walked through the tunnel and exited. While walking through the tunnel an exciting moment happened. I never thought I would be able to high five Sara Barralesis' hand. I wanted to stop and get her picture but couldn’t. Lunch was provided at the Amtrak Center. We got there and ate there. We got to see the real Harlem Globetrotters and meet a few of the mascots. It was pretty cool! We saw the Globetrotter and they showed us some basketball tricks and wow they were talented. When they finished, a Globetrotter came up and we were able to get a picture with them. Then we headed out and went back to the resort and ate and then went to our rooms for the night! Opening ceremonies had ended and our competition started the day after.
Monday morning was the practice day for the bowlers. We got up and got dressed. We finished up our daily morning routine. We had to wear khakis and our bowling shirts. Then we went and got breakfast. It wasn’t grab and go. We sat down and ate the eggs and the sides they provided. After breakfast we headed to Boardwalk Bowl, the bowling alley we were competing at. We arrived around 8:15. Our practice lanes were just with our team and each teammate did good practicing. I bowled great. The splits hurt me. Team Maryland was not used to the oil on the lanes. It took some practice and time to get used to it. We practiced from 9-11. My family came to watch me and cheer me on. It is always great having a cheer team cheering me on at my competitions. Some of my other teammates had people come to watch them. After we are done practicing, we left and went back to our resort and we ate lunch, and then hang out. Dinner had cheeseburgers and other foods. I had a cheeseburger. Then went back and got relaxed and ready for bed. I was tired and ready to sleep. I also talked to my family. It was great seeing them.
Tuesday was the first competition day! I was super excited and super nervous! Competing at the USA Games level, I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. Competing can be nerve-racking for some, at this level I was nervous. We could look on the app that morning and find out our lanes and who would be on our lanes. I didn’t worry too much. I just wanted to go out there and kick some butt during my competition. The competition was from 9 am - 1 p.m. The singles competition I was on lane 10. I told myself before bowling I wanted a turkey. I got one strike. Singles scores game 1- 119 2-105 3-127. Which all together equals a 351. Wow! After completing my team and I got on the bus and traveled to the awards ceremonies. I bowled great games and even had my family there to watch me bowl, compete, and get my award. I was one of the 8 bowlers that I was competing against. I walked on stage and cheered on the other athletes I competed against. I won the GOLD medal in singles! After getting awards we had to go outside and meet our coach. My parents were able to take pictures of me when I was getting my award. Then I went and watched my other teammates get their awards!

I love the amount of detail you are sharing. I can see why a Part 2 will be needed. Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts as you go through the preparation and competition. Often we just talk about scores or places or medals. I am glad you are talking about how you felt and the daily activities.
ReplyDelete