Best Buddies

Starting my freshman year and sophomore year in High School was hard.  I got through it each and every day.  The subjects I was learning were too difficult. My freshman year of high school I joined Best buddies.  Best buddies is a program where people with intellectual disabilities work on building meaningful friendships and working on life skills. This was for students who were unable to benefit from mainstream classes and they remained in their classroom with their teachers without having to navigate the hallways, change classes, and able to be taught in ways that were appropriate for them.  During the one-hour lunch other students can come in, and I started doing just that and spent my lunches visiting, hanging out, and being accepted for exactly who I am.  I would talk with them, hang out with them, play games and eat lunch with them, all the while building amazing and meaningful friendships.  This club has changed my life. The best buddies teachers and the best buddies crew were so accepting. They all accepted me for me and didn't want me to be anyone else but myself.  I came in during the one-hour lunch every day except for Fridays because Fridays were their field trip days.  Every day I came in they made me so happy.  I even came to see them before going to my first-period class. They were the sweetest people I have ever met in school.  Having joined the club, we would go on field trips. When I got into my sophomore year of high school, I became a Best buddies coordinator. I helped the other officers with some of the roles. Some examples are planning the different activities like field trips, dances, and after-school activities.  Being an officer can be hard.  It takes a lot of work and dedication. I’m so happy that I was a buddy coordinator. The best buddies teachers helped me with so many things like schoolwork. if I’m having a rough day and learning to be just who I am and embrace my differences. The best buddies crew always knew how to make me laugh, it was a joy to be around and be apart of this club.


Comments

  1. Best Buddies is a good program. I am glad to hear you were able to get so much out of it and also to give so much back. Sounds like it really positively impacted your high school experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 1

Mental Health

Ravens Play60 event